Tuesday, March 16, 2010

O'Roma

Well, it's only been a few months since my last post. Since then I studied abroad for a semester in Roma, Italy, traveled throughout Italy, visited relatives in Sicily, got to experience the final weekend of Oktoberfest in Munich, and spent Halloween weekend in Barcelona. I'm not going to go into great detail (although I would love to) about my time abroad, that will be another post-it won't be months away either. Anyway...
My experience abroad was incredible. However, while I had the chance to live and learn about Italian and european culture--they are very different--what I miss most is the people I met and the friendships that were made.
When Derek and I landed outside of Roma I had a permanent smile despite having been awake for nearly 24hrs. The Swiss Air flight lasted about 8hrs and for two relatively big guys--it was not very enjoyable (we didn't sleep at all)...
Getting back to the topic of this post, after the van dropped us off at our new home (apartment building) in Trastevere, Roma we checked in got our keys signed our $$ away and proceed inside. Now, when you hear that Europeans drive smaller cars etc. OK that's fine, but 2 person elevators?? That was interesting.
Finally, while laughing on the ride up I walked across the hall and into my new home. Derek and I lived with six (6) other guys from all over the states. Jason, Bobby and Dorian were from San Fran, Nico Texas, Nikhil Ohio, and Del Wisconsin. Until this trip I had never roomed with a group of guys who all got along--it made the trip that much better.
The entire apartment wing was filled with American students except for a few Italian families, who I feel really bad for...
In the airport we found our study abroad supervisor and got acquainted with the people who were there. We introduced ourselves to Amy, Lauren and Mike and agreed to find the nearest bar for a welcome to Roma drink!
Amy and Lauren ended up living a block away from our apartment on Pascarella (Amy said it best). We met them and their new roommates, Jill, Jen and Aly for lunch.
As I write I wish, at that very moment, I made the decision to stay for a full year. Dave Matthews said it best in his song titled, 'The Best of What's Around' he said, "it's not where, but who you're with that really matters".
I've heard this song, maybe a thousand times (for those who know me that might be accurate), and I always knew what he meant, but I never felt or understood the emotions behind it. Roma, made it pretty clear. Every person I met abroad I connected with, there was never any awkward moments and if they were we laughed about it; if someone was on the run they would still smile & wave. I don't know how to best describe it, but we were all friends on some level everyone got along with each other; we were different, yet somehow all the same. It was an incredible experience to be apart of. While, I miss the culture, nightlife, and amazing european weekend adventures, I miss the all the new people I met and new friendships that grew the most.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment