Thursday, April 1, 2010

Plymouth State University to add course in Social Media Marketing!

According to Trent Boggess, Dean of PSU's new CoBA, three professors are currently designing a new course to educate students about social media. The course, titled "Social Network Marketing", will be available to students Spring 2011.

First, as a student I am very happy that the University has recognized the importance of Social Media by introducing it's first course. However, I feel they could be doing more.
First, I would like to know which professors are working on the course. While I don't know every professor on campus I do know two that stand out from the rest when it comes to social media, understanding students & professional experience, Terri Dautcher and Peter B. Yunich.

Not only do I know that both professors would do an outstanding job designing any business course, especially one pertaining to social media, students would benefit from the input of Yunich's grad students who Yunich has referred to as social media "experts".
Unfortunately I don't know or have access to any of the current details of the course, but I'm pretty sure that another two courses on social media should could be developed and introduced during the Fall 2012.

Social Media strategy, tactics, and practice (refer to chapter 10 in Dan Zarrella's "the social media marketing book"). As an active social media user for the past three years this chapter was the capstone for me. If you have been using SM for some time now and you're wondering where the last pieces of the puzzle go--I would buy the book just to read this chapter (p.198 says it all--integration!)
Assuming this first course is aimed at educating students about SM at an introductory level I can see several other specific courses being added including: SM for: Sm. Business and NPOs.

Comments welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment